Damage Claims Damage Claims

Damage Claims and Home Insurance

In the event that a child in care damages your home or personal property and your house insurance or the SFFA's liability insurance will not cover the damage, foster parents can receive compensation from the Ministry of Social Services.

To make this process easy and fair, the SFFA has an Independent Damage Assessor on-staff to provide independent assessment and work with both the foster parents and the Ministry to ensure it is taken care of as quickly as possible.

If you have any questions about this process, don't hesitate to give us a call or send us an email.

Making a Damage Claim

If a child has damaged something and you would like to make a claim, first call your Resource Worker to notify them of the damage.

Next, you should notify us about the damage so our Independent Damage Assessor can carry out an assessment of the loss or damage.

The Independent Damage Assessor will contact the foster family and an investigation to determine the origin, details of damage and cost associated with the loss will be carried out. Contact will be made by phone initially and if necessary, a personal visit to the foster home will be made.

Following the completion of the investigation, the Damage Assessor will provide the Regional contact person at the Ministry of Social Services with a detailed report, outlining the damage amount the foster parent is seeking, for the Ministry’s consideration and possible reimbursement.